Monday, July 19, 2010

Epic Fail of Not So Epic Proportions

I'm sure you guys remember my post, An Item For My Closet of Wanting. I promised I would mess around with some fabrics to try and create that Balmain skirt. Well, the good news is that it's possible (obviously). The bad news is that I couldn't get the pieces to stay together. Leather is a pain in the behind to sew! I can't honestly say I have a tutorial because the pieces I used produced something similar to the original picture, not the actual product. Therefore I'd like to say that the key here is LAYERS.

I started with one long layer of mesh from an old skirt, which gave me the shape I needed to build around. I cut away pieces of the mesh and pinned some sequined fabric and chains onto the material to build the bottom layer of the skirt, and for the top layer pinned the leather scraps with more monochrome fabrics. I figured it was just a puzzle, with pieces in need of being put together and pieces that needed to be cut away to reveal another puzzle altogether.

The final product looked kind of silly, but that's essentially how I would have created it had I possessed a working sewing machine capable of sewing leather. I was tempted to punch holes into the leather and sew it with strips of grey yarn or embroidery floss, but seeing as I wouldn't seriously be able to wear the skirt, I didn't do more than keep the pins in place and admire my first and only attempt.

I apologize for not taking any pictures, but if I try this again with a working machine and a smaller model, I will definitely record as much of the new attempt as I can. Have a great day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails